Saturday, August 25, 2007

hi.

This is my blog, Oddly Satisfying. The title is fairly self-explanatory, as I've found the majority of my interests these days seem to fall into the "And this is interesting...why?" category to various people.

Take knitting- I'm hard pressed to fully explain the knitting obsession to anyone not out there in knitblog land. No one quite gets the pleasure I derive from spending hours kitting on tiny needles while listening to podcasts or watching episodes of The Office on my laptop. Or the quickening of my pulse when I walk into a yarn store and see shelves full of the mythical yarns I've heard talked up online. I'm a new knitter, one for whom the online knitting community and the craft itself are almost synonymous. I'm fascinated by the internet just as I'm enthralled with knitting, (hence my career choice). I learned how to knt a couple years ago, but never really made it past garter stitch. After school got out in May I declared that I'd teach myself to really knit this summer, with a tentative goal of knitting socks. Pretty ambitious for someone who still needed to learn to purl. Well, I did it, and now in August I've got two more pairs on the needles, I'm knitting Branching Out from Knitty, I've joined two knitalongs and have amassed somewhat of a stash. I'm obsessed. Still waiting for that Ravelry invite, though.


Runningwise, I've just started training for the Houston Marathon in January. My goal is to break 4:00 (I ran 4:22 at the Austin Marathon this past February) but I have a Secret Goal of qualifying for the Boston Marathon, which would require me running 3:40. That's 8:25 per mile. That might be an overly ambitious goal, but I guess ambitious goals are good. I have a 10-miler scheduled for today. It's looking like rain which will make it cooler, so fingers crossed for rain but no thunder. My mileage is at 30-32 mpw right now, and I'm looking to max out at 55 mpw this training cycle. I've never been one for gadgets but I'm looking at getting a Garmin gps device once I'm a bit more flush with $$- it will help me keep track of mileage as I don't usually run marked trails in Austin.

2 comments:

puck said...

hi! :D your running-ness is pretty awesome! and your ravelry invite, pretty sure to come before mine.

Alix said...

i dunno, there are like 5,000 some peeps ahead of me. of course, school starts wednesday and i really don't need one more distraction. glitter is enough!